ExaChess Lite, the free reduced-feature version of ExaChess, includes the ExaChess (Pro) full user documentation.
- ExaChess Lite 4.0.2 (version 4.0, 4.1MB - dmg file)
- ExaChess Lite 3.1.3 for OS X versions earlier than 10.3.9 (version 3.1.3, 3.4MB - dmg file)
ExaChess (Pro) is not available for general download. Please try ExaChess Lite as a demo version. See Ordering for information on how to order ExaChess.
If you are a registered user of any prior version of ExaChess, then ExaChess 4 is a free upgrade (electronic delivery option only). Contact Exant Software (the publisher of ExaChess) for download information.
ExaChess 4 supports UCI chess engines, and includes the strong Fruit engine. There are dozens of strong UCI engines available that run under Windows, but only a small fraction make it to the Mac. For surveys of available engines see Chessville Chess Engine Update or Top UCI Chess Engines. For a current rating list of engines, see the IPON Rating List.
The following is a selection of strong free and commercial UCI engines for the Mac:
- Fruit. This is a strong UCI chess engine developed by Fabien Letouzey. It was sold commercially for short period in its development, but was originally and is again free. Source code is also freely available. The Fruit 2.2.1 release is included with ExaChess 4. The latest release is Fruit 2.3.1.
- Stockfish. This is a very strong open source UCI chess engine developed by Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba, and Joona Kiiski. It currently (2011) the highest rated of the freeware engines. Versions are available for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android. The latest release is Stockfish 2.1.1.
- Toga II. This is derivative of Fruit by Thomas Gaksch with multi-processor support and other enhancements.
- HIARCS. A powerful World Championship winning commercial chess engine by Mark Uniacke and
available direct from the developer. HIARCS is the current 2011 World Chess Software Champion.
It is available on Mac, Windows, iOS (iPhone and iPad) devices.
- HIARCS Chess web site.
- Deep Junior. Another very strong chess engine, by Amir Ban and Shay Bushinsky, available through the Hiarcs site. This is the program that drew a match 3-3 with Gary Kasparov in 2003. Junior is the current 2011 World Computer Chess Champion. It is available on Mac and Windows.
- Shredder. A very strong chess engine by Stefan Meyer-Kahlen. Sold for the Mac as
a chess playing program (i.e. including a user interface), it contains a separate UCI engine.
- Shredder web site.
Various freeware and commercial chess fonts are now available on the Internet.
- The Nørresundby Chess Club site is an excellent reference page to chess fonts available on the Internet, most of which can be downloaded directly from the site.
- Alpine Electronics sells the three high quality fonts known as Hastings, Linares and Zurich.